Eel Loach (Pangio anguillaris)
From The Aquarium Wiki
95 Litres (25 US G.)
8.9-10.2cm (3.5-4 ")
6.0 - 7.2
24 -26 °C (75.2-78.8°F)
- Eel Loach
Additional scientific names
- Acantophthalmus anguillaris, Acanthophthalmus vermicularis
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females with eggs will be plumper than males.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Should only be kept with similar sized robust fish but nothing aggressive. Should be kept in groups of 4 or more.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Relatively effective in keeping small snail populations under control. Will eat a variety of foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen food such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Must only be kept in well-matured long tanks. A soft substrate is essential, either sand or fine rounded gravel. Does not appreciate very strong currents.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A sociable fish that finds comfort in numbers. A very active burrower, even in gravel, will spend a lot of its time buried.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A very slender snake-like Loach, it is has a pale belly while the body is mottled green/grey with a strong dark lateral line running down the body.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )